Spinach, Apple and Pecan Salad
Photo by Sharlene~W
About This Recipe
"Spinach, apples, red onion & pecans in a sweet-tart dressing. To make this salad extra special, I like to glaze the pecans by stirring them with 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Pour them out on waxed paper and separate with your spoon while still warm. If you do this, you don't need to toast the pecans. It takes about 5 minutes or so for the sugar to melt."
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard ( I prefer Dijon)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 golden delicious apple, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut in thin strips
- 3/4 lb fresh spinach, washed, stems removed, leaves torn
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- In serving bowl, whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper until thick.
- Add apple and onion.
- Toss until apples and onions are covered with dressing.
- Place spinach on top, then pecans.
- Just before serving, toss.