Combine the favorite dessert pairing of strawberries and balsamic vinegar with creamy ricotta or sweetened cream cheese and toasted bread, and you have a perfect appetizer. In the test kitchens, we thought these were delicious for breakfast, and they would make a pretty addition to any summer party. Serves 8 Total time: 25 min Prep time
- 2 tablespoon(s) packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 pound(s) strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/3-inch slices and 1 pound bluberries ( can be sugared)
- 8 slice(s) (each 3/4 inch thick and 5 inches wide) rustic country bread
- 1 container(s) ricotta cheese or 8 oz. cream cheese mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 bunch(es) (about 32 leaves) basil, torn if large
- In large bowl, stir brown sugar, vinegar, and vanilla until sugar dissolves. Stir in sliced strawberries. Let stand 1 hour.
- Toast bread until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Spread 2 tablespoons ricotta or cream cheese on each bread slice. Alternate strawberries and basil leaves in a single layer, overlapping slices. Drizzle strawberry juices over top and serve.