Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Black Bean Salsa by Beth Ashton


This is one of our family’s favorite snacks. It can easily be made into a meal with a bed of lettuce or rolled into a tortilla or on top of a baked potato. It is also very portable so we often take it with us when we travel.

One thing that we should all know about me is that I do not measure. I chop tomatoes based on how many we have and then eyeball the amounts from there. I’ve tried to put measurements in here– but use them as general amounts– adjust by taste. I have to credit all my salsa-making skills to my brother-in-law, Ken. (The base of these measurements comes from his recipe.) When he joined the family, I developed a great love for fresh salsa– and now I *may* be accused of being a salsa-snob. (I mean really– store-bought salsa?? Who likes that stuff anyway?)

30 oz. Cooked black beans or canned– rinsed and drained

4 ripe tomatoes, chopped

1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels

1 tsp. salt

3/4 cup red onions, chopped

1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

2-3 cloves minced garlic

1/2 cup fresh lemon or lime juice

1 tsp. cumin

1 diced avocado (optional)

Combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Eat.

Ken recommends making a day in advanced so the flavors become more enhanced. But sometimes, I just can’t wait…

































1 comment: